We have gone local today for our eighth blog of Christmas. To celebrate the maids a-milking here is a dairy bowl used for creaming from Seaton, Aberdeen. This large dairy bowl is just one example of Seaton Pottery, which we are lucky enough to have a number of in our collection. Seaton Pottery was established in 1868 and was based on the north side of the royal Burgh of Aberdeen. The company took advantage of the rich clay beds in the Seaton area to make their range of domestic and decorative wares for the Aberdeenshire area.
Many items are decorated with a white slip glaze, into which patterns and words were cut, a method known as sgraffito. The sgraffito designs on this specific bowl show crossed ensigns with an anchor with crossed swords and a crown, a wave and possible fish-tail design, a tulip, another flower and a peacock; the star design at the centre is reminiscent of a compass. It also has the inscription Mrs DAVID REW Feby. 1862 and from this we have discovered that it was a wedding gift. We think it would have been a lovely gift!